Islam World

WHO says 1,146 killed due to cholera in Yemen since April

The World Health Organization says 1,146 people have been killed due to an outbreak of cholera in Yemen since late April, as the impoverished Arab country continues to suffer from Saudi Arabia’s deadly campaign.

 

The World Health Organization says 1,146 people have been killed due to an outbreak of cholera in Yemen since late April, as the impoverished Arab country continues to suffer from Saudi Arabia’s deadly campaign.

The WHO’s Yemen office said in a statement late Monday that over 166,976 suspected cases of cholera had been registered in the country since April 27. 

The northwestern province of Hajjah has recorded the highest number of deaths from the disease with 195 fatalities.

Yemeni public health authorities said on Saturday that Cholera had so far spread to 20 of the country’s 22 governorates or provinces.

On June 14, Save the Children voiced alarm over the raging spread of the cholera epidemic in war-torn Yemen, saying one child becomes infected every minute.

British charity Oxfam recently estimated that the waterborne disease now kills at least one person per hour in Yemen.

 

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Back to top button